What are wisdom teeth? – Wisdom Teeth Treatment Ahmedabad
Wisdom teeth are the third molars that erupt between the age of 18-24 years. The wisdom teeth are the last molars to erupt in the mouth and are sometimes not fully erupted due to lack of space. With evolution, the jaw size of humans has decreased, and hence there is a high chance that wisdom teeth remain impacted or erupt partially.
Every third molar is not indicated for removal, but it is important to get periodic checkups to know the status of the eruption of the third molars to plan accordingly. In the information provided below, we will discuss the indications, complications, and aftercare of wisdom tooth removal – brought to you by Oris Smiles Dental Clinic.
What is wisdom teeth removal?
Wisdom teeth removal is a minor surgical procedure aiming to remove the third molars painlessly. Our team of experts at Oris Smiles Dental Clinic will examine your case clinically and radiologically to formulate a customized plan to remove the third molars.
Indications to remove wisdom teeth – Wisdom Teeth Treatment Ahmedabad
There are various indications to remove the third molars. one should note that it is not necessary to experience all the symptoms at once. Still, some of these symptoms might be present when the third molar is indicated for removal.
- There is chronic pain in the back tooth region
- The pain is recurrent
- Reduced mouth opening is present
- The gums and the soft tissue around the third molar are swollen and tender
- There is a fowl smell due to infection
- A bad metallic taste is present
- The third molar shows no sign of complete eruption
- There is recurrent food lodgement in the region of the last molar
- Radiographically it is established that the third molar angulation will damage the roots of the second molar
What if I don’t get my third molar removed
- The third molar can damage the roots of the second molar
- There are chances of developing an infection in the region of the third molar
- The infection may spread from this region to surrounding tissues and underlying bone
- There are chances of developing root caries in the second molar
- There are high chances of developing a cyst around the impacted third molars
- The cystic lesion can make the jaw weak and tends to show malignant transformation
Preparation for wisdom teeth removal – Wisdom Teeth Treatment Ahmedabad
- Get your complete clinical and radiological examination
- Always share your medical history and allergies with your dentist
- If you are regularly taking any medications, you should inform your doctor
- In case of any modification, our team might consult your treating doctor to alter the dosage of certain medications
- Always have your food before any surgery
- If you are using inhalers for your respiratory condition, it is advised to always carry them with you.
- Since it is a minor oral surgical procedure, it is best to have an attendant with you to escort you post-surgery
Aftercare of wisdom teeth removal – Wisdom Teeth Treatment Ahmedabad
- Do not touch the extraction site with your tongue or fingers
- Do not spit or rinse your mouth for the first 24 hrs to preserve the clot
- Start warm saline rinses after 24 hrs for faster recovery
- Always take your medications as prescribed
- Use cold compression for the first 24 hrs to prevent swelling
- Sleep with your head elevated for the first night after surgery
- Switch to a soft diet for a few days
- Always go for follow-up visits to track the healing