Essential Points for Dentures Aftercare
Daily cleaning of the dentures with products specifically made for them is essential to Dentures Aftercare. Regular cleaning of the dentures keeps them fresh and reduces the chance of bacterial growth. The bacterial accumulation on the denture surface can lead to adverse oral health issues. At Oris Smiles Dental Clinic, our chief dentist, Dr. Janu Shah, pays special attention while instructing geriatric individuals on proper Dentures Aftercare.
What if there is no Dentures Aftercare?
Neglecting your dentures aftercare can cause problems with your oral and overall health. It may lead to problems like:
- Mouth sores
- Bad breath
- Altered taste
Dentures Aftercare Instructions
- Soak your dentures in a cleansing solution or water daily.
- Clean your dentures with a special toothbrush as instructed by our team at Oris Smiles Dental Clinic
- Take them out while sleeping
- Make sure to clean all the surfaces of the dentures before inserting them back into your mouth.
- Use the suggested cleaning solutions for safe and effective cleaning.
- The products used for cleaning should not damage the prosthesis.
How to clean the dentures?
You need a special denture cleaning toothbrush and cleaning solution for dentures. Do not use your regular toothbrush or toothpaste, as it may damage the denture. Always seek proper guidance while selecting products for denture cleaning.
To brush dentures
- Use a denture brush and cleanser twice daily.
- Take your dentures out of your mouth to clean them properly. Never attempt to clean them while wearing them.
- Rinse your dentures to remove the cleaning solution before wearing them back.
- It is quite possible that they might slip out of your hands while cleaning. Always use a towel underneath to ensure that the denture does not break by falling.
It is suggested to clean your dentures after soaking them in the cleansing solution. It helps in deep cleansing the denture, and it is best to store them overnight. The antimicrobial cleansers kill the bacteria when you soak them. To avoid changes in the form, your dentures should always soak in water or a denture cleanser and no other solution. The time duration varies as per the manufacturer’s instruction based on the strength of the cleansing solution.
Take your dentures out during the night to relieve your mouth. The soft tissues bearing the load need time to recover from the continuous pressure. Continuous wearing may lead to inflammation and mouth ulcers.
Schedule appointments with Dr. Janu Shah at Oris Smiles Dental Clinic to get your regular checkups. After a comprehensive checkup, we ensure your denture fits correctly in the mouth. We also look for any signs of early lesions or changes in your jaw.
Can you use bleach on the dentures?
It is proven that bleach damages the acrylic material of the denture, and it is not suggested to use any such component to clean the denture that may potentially harm the denture.
Can you use peroxides?
It is always suggested to use specific denture cleansing materials as they contain other ingredients and peroxides. However, it is suggested to avoid using household peroxides on the dentures.